Author Topic: Cheap android tablet 80 ???  (Read 11414 times)

Offline CdRsKuLL

• The Fat dude !
  • Administrator
    • FreeICE
Cheap android tablet 80 ???
« on: March 29, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
Well, I've got to admit I do like my gadgets.. so I've had 6 or 7 tablets from Archos / Advent / Ipads etc.. I've got a samsung 8.9 that I'm bored of now so was on the lookout for a 7 inch super cheap one.

I've come across a new Eken T01 that's on eBay at the moment for 79.99 delivered. This is a ICS (latest android os) and also comes with a capacitive touchscreen.

Has HDMI / USB Host / Micro SD / USB Micro / Front Camera / wifi

No GPS and No 3g.. but as it's usb host you might be able to get a usb gps working

So I can buy a 7 inch Android tablet with a capacitive screen, 1.2 cpu.. 4gb memory (upgradable via microsd) all for under 80 delivered !!!

How come a simple vga screen with the same res (800 x 480) with a crappy resistance touchscreen costs more ? lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-4-0-Tablet-PC-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-Eken-T01-7-Capacitive-Wifi-3g-4gb-/330709745560?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item4cffd63f98

Anyway... I've ordered one to have a play
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 02:40:04 PM by CdRsKuLL »

Offline mos33y

Re: Cheap android tablet 80 ???
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 07:38:26 AM »
So does this mean we'll be seeing an android version of FI?  ;D

Offline CdRsKuLL

• The Fat dude !
  • Administrator
    • FreeICE
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 09:36:56 AM »
I only wish I had the time.... currently what I have spare is being spent trying to finish of my kitcar, as soon as it's done I will be jumping back on FI :-) Just a few more weeks and it should be ready for paint.

brum brum,,,,
Murci kit car startup

thanks,

Steve

Offline Cerberus

• Three Headed Guard Dog
  • Global Moderator
  • <witty comment goes here>
    • Eunos Roadster
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 09:54:23 AM »
Loving this thing. Is there a build log online somewhere?

Cerbs

Offline CdRsKuLL

• The Fat dude !
  • Administrator
    • FreeICE
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 02:32:26 PM »
Well it's here :-)

no Android Market... that's coz it's now called 'Play Store'

Only had 5 mins to play.. setup Gmail and downloaded Angry birds space.

First impressions.. for 80 delivered it's a bargain :-) If anyone want's to know more please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline Cerberus

• Three Headed Guard Dog
  • Global Moderator
  • <witty comment goes here>
    • Eunos Roadster
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »

I'd be interested in your opinion of it compared to an iPad.

Cerbs

carputer1

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 04:13:15 PM »
ipad = 0

andriod = 110

lol

no contest

Offline Enforcer

• Confusion Master
  • Global Moderator
    • Enforcer
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 02:26:44 AM »
Tell us more Steve.

Offline firestorm

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 10:11:45 AM »
sounds a bargain

any build thread on the kitcar anywhere???

Offline CdRsKuLL

• The Fat dude !
  • Administrator
    • FreeICE
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 01:31:40 PM »
ok.. build thread here - http://extremeoc.co.uk/index.php?topic=359.0

As for the tablet well....

I've now had it just less than a day but only played on it an hour or two. I've had quite a few tablets so what do I think of the cheapest one I've bought so far.....

Well it has a decent screen, quite bright and with it's capacitive touchscreen it's very nice to use and responsive. Lots better than the superfly 3 I had for a couple of days before sending it back. It's 7 inch's so it's the same size as the normal carpc screen.. but capacitive.. makes a massive difference this, if I could buy just this screen for 80 for my carpc it would be a bargain!!

So.. the screen alone makes this tablet worth it.. big plus there :-) The tablet doesn't feel cheap really it's quite solid and the back has a rubbery plastic feel if you know what I mean.. the only let down is the cheapo plastic buttons on the top right.. but jezz that's being very very picky.

Hmm what else.. It's running ICS (ice cream sandwich) Android OS which is the latest version and it does run well on it.. bit of lag here and there but not massive and I dont really feel it's an issue to be honest. It's got built in wifi and connected to my wifi and mifi in the car no probs. I've downloaded lots of apps from the market and they all seem to work well (angry birds etc).

enough of whats good .. what things have I found that's bad. Well the screen isnt IPS or whatever so the viewing angles do decrease when tipping the tablet up, but honestly it's not bad at all. The power lead is about a meter long which is pant's .. and the battery life will only be a couple of hours (just guessing as not tested).

It doesn't have built in bluetooth or gps.. now if your looking at this for a carpc replacement like I have been thinking (in the wifes car not mine) then this need to be looked into. Which is what I've done :-)

So, this little baby has a USB host port, which means you can plug in usb drives / hubs etc and also a usb gps device. I've a Bu353 (think thats right) and although I've not tested it yet should work with an app you can download for $1.99 which I will try later today. This then loads as a mock gps and apps like google navigator / iGO will work but not sygic as that looks for a hardware device. I'm not that familar with Android but if someone knows how to load drivers into it then it wouldnt be hard to get lots of different devices working with it.

So.. bit of a wrap up. Is it worth 80 delivered to your door... YES without a doubt. Can you use it as a carpc.. Yes I think so, but it does need a little work to get it there.

would I recommend it.. without a doubt, if your after something to play with.. something to go in the car, something to check your mail... something to surf the web.. a big controller for your new Samsung tv.. (opps thats just me) then for 80 you can't go wrong 

Hope this helps :-)  O and a couple of other things.. Yes it can be rooted (mine is now) but it struggles if you overclock it. .. mine says it's running at 1000, when I move it upto 1200 it's still ok (even more laggy) but anymore and it bombs out.

Offline Enforcer

• Confusion Master
  • Global Moderator
    • Enforcer
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 12:06:35 AM »
OK I've bitten.

Damn you CDR.

If I'm not impressed it will be Little E's b'day pressie.

If I am, I might get another one for him.

Offline CdRsKuLL

• The Fat dude !
  • Administrator
    • FreeICE
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 03:58:21 PM »
Let me know when it turns up :-)

I've just reflashed mine with a firmware dated 23.03.2012 but I think there is another one due out in the next couple of days :-)

Steve

Offline CdRsKuLL

• The Fat dude !
  • Administrator
    • FreeICE
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 03:35:15 PM »
after reflashing with the above.. I just installed this script..

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/29897-scripts-novo7-elf-icecreamsandwich-google-play-script/

Made it run really nice and now I've access to the full market :-)

Offline kpjuk

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 08:02:25 PM »
Just ordered one, keep meaning to try out a cheapie android device, so lets see what this one is like.

Thinking about getting a Raspberry Pi to see what that can do. anyone had any experience ?

cheers
KPJUK

Offline Enforcer

• Confusion Master
  • Global Moderator
    • Enforcer
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 08:50:13 PM »
after reflashing with the above.. I just installed this script..

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/29897-scripts-novo7-elf-icecreamsandwich-google-play-script/

Made it run really nice and now I've access to the full market :-)

What's wrong with the access to the market without it?