Author Topic: New DAB / DAB+ Radio (being tested)  (Read 19798 times)

Offline ephect

• Global Moderator
New DAB / DAB+ Radio (being tested)
« on: August 27, 2012, 12:40:30 AM »
this topic has been split from the original one...

Please read below the progress.

Sellers Link
http://www.monkeyboard.org/products/85-developmentboard/80-dab-fm-digital-radio-development-board

API Released document
http://www.monkeyboard.org/86-technical-documents/81-keystone-dab-fm-module-programming-api

Photo

Demo Source Application by CdRsKuLL

Grab the VB.net source from http://www.freeice.co.uk/test/DABmonkey.zip

Thanks to Ephect for posting these links below  .. CdRsKuLL

http://www.mp3car.com/hardware-development/152973-dab-dab-fm-digital-radio-development-board.html
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:14:08 PM by CdRsKuLL »

carputer1

Re: New FM Radio
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 08:09:59 AM »
well i have one of those boards on route from ausy
may get hit by customs ,, but will see

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:46:33 AM by CdRsKuLL »

carputer1

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 07:39:04 AM »
man austriala has a very very slow postal service ,, 4 days and its move 3 times ,, but still in aussy ..... dab would have been replaced by the time it gets here

lol..lol..

Offline Enforcer

• Confusion Master
  • Global Moderator
    • Enforcer
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 04:15:11 PM »
should have sent one of your birds to collect it

Offline ephect

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 04:23:20 PM »
lol, customs here are shocking. Carrier pigeon would be quicker.

carputer1

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 05:38:53 PM »
very very surprised,,, your customs need to update thier tracker systyem ,, accordinh to that its still in aussy ,, 3rd stop,,, funny how its here now , awaiting me to plug in ,, lol... no extra duty to pay ,, so very pleased so far ... will report on the device soon

Offline CdRsKuLL

• The Fat dude !
  • Administrator
    • FreeICE
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 05:50:15 PM »
Brill, let me know if you need a plugin :-)

carputer1

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 06:15:06 PM »
i would say mnore than likley ,, but at the same time ,, its the only route for our assuy friends to go ,, and with the lack of good devices this side of the world now ,, ,,,

anyway i will test with the default app for it ,, you have the src already ,, you never know the src may be good for v5 as well,,, ,,,

let you know
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:47:12 AM by CdRsKuLL »

carputer1

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 06:46:13 AM »
well what can i say so far about this board ,,

its very very pro built,, its nowhere near as big as the 1's we have now,,,,
the connector for our arials is wrong for the board ,, at 1st glance the board use's a wifi type conector,,
so looking into changeing that ,,

testing with no sound at moment,,,..

the test app, is well built to ,, scanning is very fast, 50 stations 1 minute
switching stations is just as fast , the test app ,, has its own auto find config setup ,, so very easy to use...
ok this guy likes hidden buttons to ,, typical , of the carpc world,, had to look at the form ,, to find the scan button lol...

useing the supplied arial,,, signal not to good ,, but i do get rds text ,
you also get ,, station name ,, dab ch found, tuning / stopped/playing// signal in dab modes,,

fm is what you expect but that needs more testing to report on,,

so far i wish i knew about this board before CB's ,, this wipes the floor ,, of the boards we have now,,
i hear steve you have been in contact or have been contacted ,, about makeing a deal , for us to sell on the suppliers behalf,, if we can get them here cheaper,, i'm not one for makeing profit on others work,,
but we will see, what the final out come will be

report more when its in field test

Offline CdRsKuLL

• The Fat dude !
  • Administrator
    • FreeICE
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 07:49:13 AM »
Great news so far fella.. Yes I can confirm I have been in contact. I did aim my email more for a reduced price sample in return for some free advertisement if the radio performed.

However he has offered me a UK distributer deal but I really don't think I would be able to do his product justice + I'm not into making profit from a hobby. Although I do know a few suppliers that might.. .

I think once Carputer1 has done his tests and we have a report back saying its better than 'x' or not as good as 'y' and we will also need to buy aerial 'a' then we should hold fire.

I do think a group buy would be a good option here. I don't normally like doing these things but we don't have much option here and the saving would be good. Plus I would also 3d print out a case for everyone.. so you have something to put it in. OK, might not be the best case, but it would do.. lol

So Sean, will leave it upto you.. will wait on your review :-) I will reply back letting him know where we are at.

Steve
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:48:10 AM by CdRsKuLL »

carputer1

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 09:22:20 AM »
oh goody thank you lollol...

well this guy is right on the ball.. e-mails to and throw,,
he's asking about our connectors, lol...
well i want to see how i can convert here 1st ,, so a trip to maplins,,,
as for the arial supplied mmmm its the basics of basics i'm afraid,, (no dis-respect)
good for a starter set up ,, but long term i would say no to it,,
so if i or the dealer can find away around the connector issue,, then i cansee about getting the boards only ,, and maybe a few of his arials for those who really want to use it .....

i have also linked the dealer to this thread,, so he can keep up with things this end,,
i don't mind buying a small bulk order,, money is very tight for me at present,, but do able...
i'm not after profit ,, and never will be,,, all i will be asking on top (if i go aheadwith this)
is the main cost ,, and delivery to your selves...
but lets , see what happens and maybe something can be bashed out ,, to have a proper dab+ board here in the uk and where ever else i can send that now has dab ,, also this depends on intrest in this board ,,

ok maplins was crap ,, but dabonwheels is a winner , a small adaptor to convert ,, 5.99
ordered and on route

carputer1

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 12:09:58 PM »
ok now i have installed on my tablet at my yard,,,
i have also brought in the old dab board ,, and is also working ,, so i can compare between the too

1st off,, all below is the same setup for each board,, i'm useing the mag arial supplied for both dab devices..
the arial is attached to my tool box, for a good ground,, i'm useing the 3.5 jack straight to the amp as the tablet dose not have linein

old board

board design and build not bad for a hobby build,, mitch replacement board much better , and removes the usb drop out.
dose not always activate , USB driver issue , keeps dropping out
scanning stations, struggles at times ,, takes about 2 minutes to complete each scan came up with 40 stations,, not all playable
signal low i would say about 30%
useage well hard to compare this 1 as its down to the pi codeing and is a v5 chip,, but very usable
slow station change

new board

board build and design ,, well what can i say spot on , small clean,,
needs a usb driver installed to use,,, np there
radio switchs on/off with no issues,,
scanning 1 minute 70 stations 80% playable from here .
signal average 70%
usage (with demo app supplied) no faults so far ,, very useable, and very quick station change

i have not made any changes to my sys config , for these tests ,, its plug and go
agreed compareing a v5 chip with what i ssue is a v7 chip ,, theres bound to be improvements
but so far ,, without takeing out on the road yet ,,, this is the board for me ....

i have not tested FM on either board yet ,, and to be honest why should i ,, but from tests this morning,, pretty much the same on both boards.....

BIG sorry to you steve ,, i have really hijacked your fm radio thread ,,,
and yes so far i would say start building the pi ,, i'm not going to install fully into truck ,, so i can bench test for you ...

again sorry for the hijack ,,

Hows your radio comming along lol.lol.

Offline CdRsKuLL

• The Fat dude !
  • Administrator
    • FreeICE
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »
Hi fella..

Sounds v.good so far :-) I will email him to see if I can get one myself to have a little play with. I do have some standard car aerial adaptors if you want one. They just unscrew so you can put any type of wire into it, might be handy for testing the FM side of things.

It's always a nightmare trying to blind code things so if I get one the plugin would only take a night to code up. I've been looking through the app source and it seems straight forward enough. I might even just hardcode it into the core like the other radios are.

Will let you know how I get on.

thanks,

Steve

Offline Cerberus

• Three Headed Guard Dog
  • Global Moderator
  • <witty comment goes here>
    • Eunos Roadster
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 02:40:28 PM »

I don't have a car pc any more, but.....

Is there any way it can be adapted to show up as a usb audio device? I used to use the line in for the Playstation II so would have been a problem for me.

Is there any way you could use an existing electric telescopic aerial with this board? One that uses an old style connector?

carputer1

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 02:55:03 PM »
this board i am useing stand alone, the app finds the com port for you, just plug in headphones , or i to aux and away you go,,, the arial package with , is certainly good enough and small

existing arial you have could used as this one is just telescopic arial on a mag mount